NYC garage doors aren’t something that homeowners buy very often, so knowing how to approach the process can be tough. To avoid the ups and downs of the unknown, below are some things to keep in mind when shopping for NYC garage doors.
Tips On Shopping for NYC Garage Doors
1. How much do NYC garage doors cost?
Every house has a bit of character, so highlight it with the perfect garage door. Are you looking for a classic look or would you prefer something more contemporary, or even rustic? Determining your house’s style will help focus your options. Once you figure out the look you’re going for, evaluate these popular atyles of NYC garage doors and see what fits your budget:
- Aluminum NYC garage doors: Rust-resistant aluminum is ideal for humid, caustic environments. Replace solid panels with frosted glass for a modern look. The average cost for a 16-by-7 double door is $1,500 to $2,000.
- Steel garage door: NYC garage doors made of steel offer the broadest range of color, insulation, and price options. You can get anything from an entry level, single-layer, non-insulated door up to a premium three-layer, 2-inch polyurethane insulated door. The average cost for a 16-by-7 double door is $750 to $3,500.
- Wood garage door: There’s no substitute for the distinctive look of wood. It’s typically made of moisture-resistant cedar, redwood or cypress and offers the most flexibility for custom designs. Depending on climate and exposure, wood doors require more maintenance. The average cost for a 16-by-7 double door made of quality wood is $1,200 to more than $4,000.
- Composite wood garage door: A durable, low-maintenance material that looks like real wood, faux wood composite eliminates many of the drawbacks of natural material. It’s moisture-resistant, so it won’t rot, split, shrink, separate or crack. It’s insulated, and can be painted or stained. The average cost for a 16-by-7 double door is $1,200 to $2,200.
2. Should you buy an insulated garage door?
Most garages aren’t heated, but your garage door still impacts your home’s energy efficiency. Construction materials and insulation technologies for NYC garage doors have improved significantly over the last five to 10 years. Today’s doors provide a tighter seal against the façade to keep out the elements. If your garage is attached to the house, your best bet is to purchase an insulated door, especially if there’s an occupied room above the garage. It will help reduce both noise and the utility bills. Also, consider the direction your door faces. If it’s baking in the sun all day or getting blasted by the wind, an insulated door will better regulate the temperature inside. When shopping for NYC garage doors, consider coordinating with the entry door for an overall cohesive look.
3. What’s the safety factor for the garage door?
If you live in a high wind or hurricane-prone area, make sure your garage door can withstand the elements. Although hurricanes aren’t too common, Sandy proved that there’s always a chance for a natural disaster. NYC garage doors must have additional bracing, heavier gauge tracking and other necessary hardware to help keep them in place under extreme winds. If you’re buying a new door, look for models that are “storm ready” with a built-in passive reinforcement system, which requires no advance set-up before a storm. Installing a new garage door can increase your home’s curb appeal, save energy and keep your family safe.
4. What else do I need to know before buying a garage door?
If you’ve never purchased a garage door before, here are some common misconceptions: Buying a garage door opener is a separate purchase and is not included in the price of a new garage door. However, most garage door installation companies also sell openers.
Are you interested in carriage house doors, but think you lack the room for doors that swing open? Carriage-house style doors only look like they swing open. They actually move up and down on a standard track, just like every other garage door. Be sure to ask if the cost of the garage door includes installation. Most likely, it will.
Looking for the Best Quality NYC Garage Doors?
Are you looking to update your garage doors to make your place of business more appealing to customers? Making your place of business more attractive increases your foot traffic. Most of us make daily decisions based purely on our sense of sight. When your business looks attractive from the outside, it invites customers in. Replacing dingy old garage doors with clean, new ones is an easy way to brighten up the exterior of your commercial business. When you take care of business, you should also take care of the business property. If your old, noisy, unattractive garage doors are keeping customers away, maybe it’s time for replacements. If they are a safety hazard to customers and employees, contact a New York City replacement garage doors specialist to see which doors are best for your business.